Stay in Touch

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Jeremy West - Daily Burn

(Click on picture to go to website)

III. I think Daily Burn is a great way for people to keep track of their diet, nutrition, and exercise. From using it personally, I realized my diet and nutritional intake are poor. I don't eat enough, and I don't drink enough water. I used to use two other online logs to keep track of my diet and exercise. For my diet, I used my-calorie-counter.com, and I used athleticore.com to log my runs. I haven't been keeping up-to-date on either of them though because I've been busy with school and just life in general. It's difficult to remember everything you ate to log it when you are busy. I like my-calorie-counter's tracker better because it calculates all of the nutritional goals and allows you to view them compared to Daily Burn that only calculates and allows you to see calories, fat, protein, and carbs unless you upgrade to a paid plan. My-calorie-counter also tells you if you are over or under your goal and subtracts any calories from your total lost during exercise.
The thing I like about Daily Burn that my-calorie-counter doesn't have is the daily calorie breakdown that shows a graph and percentage of total fat, carbs, and protein. I will most likely not continue using Daily Burn in the future. As I said before, I already use two other logs that I've been using for a couple years now, and they already have all of my data. I would recommend looking at my-calorie-counter for tracking diet and exercise.

IV. Daily Burn would be a great way to set up a fitness plan and track the results for Learning Standard #1B. Each student could set their nutritional goals at the beginning of the year with a goal of becoming more fit. For example, they could work towards losing weight or getting  stronger. The exercise log is another great way for students to keep track of what they are doing and see how many calories they lost. I would give each student a goal to touch upon each of the components in Learning Standard #1B (cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscular strength, endurance, and body composition) every week. One of the ways they could accomplish this is by doing cardio 2-3 times per week and weight training 2-3 time per week. Cardio would satisfy all of the components when followed by stretching. Weight training would satisfy at least three of the components.



V. A tool that can be useful for capturing data is Picasa or simply the print screen function. This makes it easy for the student to save an image of their results on Daily Burn without having to retype everything or make their own graphs. After saving the images, they can use them to report their results to their teacher through a blog, a website, email, or any other medium. This would be very useful if each student had to present their fitness program with results. They could simply save the images available on Daily Burn and throw them into a PowerPoint presentation to show their data and improvement along with their written fitness program.

No comments: