Friday, May 14, 2010
Questions Refer to video Brain Gains
1) Where is the web-site from? Where in the world? Which country? What city and state/province is the story from?
This website is based in Canada, Canadian Broadcasting Company/ Radio is where they deliver information through tv and radio. The story is comes from Canada in the Province of Saskatoon.
2) What do you think about this news piece....interesting...why or why not?
This was a very interesting news piece to my surprised. The information that was given through the video shows why we need "good physical education" in schools. I wasn't surprised at the fact that students learning increase because its proven that physical activity places you in a more focused state of mind. Physical activity like this should be placed in classroom all around the world but still adding other technology aspects of P.E. like DDR.
3) Why don’t we hear anything about the PE teacher being involved with City Park Collegiate experiment? How will ensure that your PE program will be a benefit to the students and faculty of your school
As they said in the video this was an alternative school. Schools like this don't put as much focus P.E. as they would math or science. The main focus of alternative schools is to improve the students knowledge to get them into the next level. Is this good? No! If this was my school I turn the whole project around into a reason of why we need vigorous and longer period for physical Education in order to improve the students in ALL subjects not just one or two while also improving students over health and increasing years of healthy life.
4) What are were the main outcomes/benefits of the program? Were you surprised from their findings? Are these outcomes similar to our New York State PE Standards? Explain your answer by giving details and examples, while comparing and contrasting.
The main benefits of the program are that the students improve in their academics and were more focus and easier to handle in the classroom. Like I said before I didn't find the results to surprising because as a teacher of P.E. I know that after vigorous workout I more relaxed, attentive and after a workout is when i do my best work. I find it upsetting that the teachers didn't speak on the added benefits throughout the video yes the students the were able to get their heart rates up but they also shed calories and lost weight due to the program overall.
I would say that the outcomes fitness program meets the New York State physical education standards. Standard 1, personal health and fitness, is achieved because students are improving their health by decreasing their risk of obesity and increasing their physical fitness levels by participating in physical activity. Standard 2, safe and healthy environment, is achieved through this program because the teachers are involved in leading vigorous workouts for the students. Improving the student’s health is achieved in a safe environment, the school. Getting the students energy out by a vigorous workout will increase classroom productivity because the students will be more focused and there will be a decrease in hostility. Standard 3, resource management, is achieved through this program by providing students opportunities outside of the classroom to be involved in physical activity. The teacher can discuss places for students to go to work out or participate in physical activity outside of the school.
5) What is BDNF and what does it have to do with PE and learning? How do you get BDNF or other associated goodies? What are the names of two of the “key” books and their authors that currently outline the benefits of exercise and learning/academics? At least one is mentioned in the news piece
Increase levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and other growth factors, stimulate neurogenesis, increase resistance to brain insult and improve learning and mental performance. Article called Exercise Enhances Learning and Dr. John Ratey’s Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain are the key books associated with the findings.
Posted by Regina at 8:48 PM